Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Latest Vancouver Cityscape Finished!

Painting, Woodwards Construction with Crane, a Vancouver cityscape by Kate MacDonald. 24x36 - oil on canvas.There's nothing quite like the feeling of finishing a piece that you've laboured over (except for perhaps selling it!)

Woodwards Construction with Crane (24 x 36" - oil on canvas) is the beginning of a subtle shift in my cityscapes; the perspective is gradually becoming flatter and pattern has begun to define depth. Going forward, I suspect the 2 dimensional plane might finally overtake my manipulation of the object to "turn in space." The detail is also sharper, perhaps sharper than I am typically comfortable with, as it eschews the motion blur I am so fond of. (That should silence the critics who suggest I am incapable of painting a properly straight line!)

Another cityscape that I am currently working on continues in this vain while a new series using firing range targets (tentatively titled Perforations) may finally break my absolute lock on realism. Only time will tell.
blog comments powered by Disqus