Friday, March 9, 2007

Last Meal: Ruben Cantu at Texas State Capitol

Oil painting Last Meal: Ruben Cantu from the Last Meals series of paintings protesting the death penalty by artist Kate MacDonald. 24x20 - oil on canvas.
I'm proud to report that following the success of the Justice For All? show at Gallery M Squared in Houston, Texas, Last Meal: Ruben Cantu was one of only eleven pieces chosen for exhibit at the Texas State Capitol building in Austin.

From my artist statement on this piece-

Ruben Cantu was seventeen years old at the time of the offence for which he was wrongly convicted. After sentencing, he wrote to the people of San Antonio:“My name is Ruben M. Cantu and I am only 18 years old. I got to the 9th grade and I have been framed in a capital murder case."

His last meal consisted of barbecue chicken, brown rice, refried beans and sweet tea. His request for bubble gum was denied.

Cantu's innocence is now widely accepted; it is believed that a close family member who returned to Mexico was the actual perpetrator of the crime.
blog comments powered by Disqus